Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Books that need reading...

So I went to Barns and Noble today and of course I picked up a book.

This really wasn't a good thing seeing how my book shelf is collecting books that I have simply not had the chance to sit down and read.

The book I bought was the second and latest novel written by Lauren Groff called Arcadia, I already own and have read her first novel Monsters of Templeton as well as her collection of short stories Delicate Edible Birds. I'm looking forward to the book but I have a stack of others waiting for me to finish or start including:

- The Complete Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde (3/4 of the way finished)
- John Connolly The Gate (1/5 in) and it's sequel The Infernals
- Steven Hall The Raw Shark Text
- Tana French The Likeness
- Jo Nesbo The Snow Man (few chapters in)

These are all REALLY good books that I either have read/own several more of by the same author or are the next book in a series of books I want to read. But where do I start?

Oscar Wilde is amazing and I'm very close to completing the collection. I've also read John Connolley's Book of Lost Things and his short stories Nocturne so I'm really excited to finish his next two books.  The Raw Shark Text has been recommended to me by the same person that recommended Mark Z. Danielewski House of Leaves, which was dark and interesting and I read in less then a week (look at the size, that's impressive). The Likeness is the next in a sudo-series that started with In the Woods (a great mystery story about Dublin's murder squad) and the rest of the series looks just as riveting. I've also heard that Jon Nesbo's work compares close to that of Stieg Larsson, The Snow Man being just one in a series of mysteries.

And yet there's still more I want to own! I just finished my boyfriends copy of Neil Gaiman's/ Terry Pratchett's Good Omens and want a copy of my own in addition to his two collections of short stories Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors. I'd like Nesbo's second book The Lepord as well as Tana French's Faithful Place. I feel so overwhelmed because I know now that I'm working full time I'm going to have even less of a chance to read.

I guess I just have to start chipping away one at a time... people always wonder about different super powers they'd like to have. I always thought an ability not to need sleep would be wonderful, I could get so much work/ reading done with time to spare. Anyways, maybe I'll start doing book reviews with each one I finish. If you are interested in any of the books I've listed they are linked to their amazon counterpart. Most are what my profile defines as my kind of book: a little mystery, a little romance and a touch of the fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. I will get on downloading these books, I appreciate any and all book recommendations....I hate to add to the list, but I really think you would like to read any of Jodi Picult's books (she is known for My sister's Keeper: which was made into a movie with Cameron Diez)

    ReplyDelete