Monday, August 6, 2012

What's next

Next in my line of work wear I think I'd like to get an "office" dress.

They're getting harder to find because the length of most dresses are on the shorter side and when you get all your height from your thighs (like me), its almost impossible. So far I've found some fantastic dresses of course, all out of my price range...

The first of my favorites is this dress from The Loft priced at $98.00

Adorable, right? Even if you subtract the soft poke-a-dot print the shape of the dress is amazing. It has a boat neck line that is modest, letting your shape do all the talking. The waist cuts in and floats around the hips only to straighten down the legs.

http://www.simplicity.com/images/product/large/3673_1.jpgIt kinda reminds me of some vintage 50's-60's work wear that I've seen patterns for. The skinny belt makes it very modern... but I would totally wear a plain, long sleeve black (or white) shirt under in the winter in true retro style. 





 This next one is a little fancier, it's from Fossil and costs $98.
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/FossilPartners/WC8407510_main?$fossilResponsive_pdpdetail$
The lace is so sweet I think it could easily be dress up or down, and of course it's a blush- burgundy (there's that color again) which makes me love it even more. A cream color cardigan would be perfect for wearing around the office but for a dressier occasion I'd pair it with a structured crop blazer.









 Also from Fossil (and also $98) is another beautiful burgundy number.

This one has a more peasant/ boho feel to it with a fantastic print. I'm also a sucker for a 3/4 sleeve... I just find them very flattering on my arms and I'm constantly pushing up full length sleeves anyways. (On a side note, I've never come across a full sleeve that was long enough, and it makes me wonder if anyone else has. Mine are always slightly short and it makes me self conscious, like I can't buy clothes that fit... but maybe that's the embarrassed girl who lived off hand-me-downs coming out.) I'm not a big fan of how they choose to style this particular model with a drop waist but so long as there isn't elastic in place (I don't think so, I think its just the belt) it can really be styled anyway you want. I'd wear it with a high-waisted skinny belt in a light tan but for a more casual look, I'd wear it completely loose.


Of course I could go the route of a more traditional, structured sheath dress... and I probably will have at least one for a wardrobe staple, but since I'm so young (the youngest in the office from what I've seen), I like to know I have the option of blending dressy with the more fashionable looks of the time. Here's hoping my dream wardrobe can become a reality... it may seem shallow to care about clothes so much but it makes the day so much more enjoyable when you know you look nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment